The streaming of the press conference was difficult to hear and I've received a few requests to post my comments, so here they are:
"1:13 PM | Joe … expounds on his role to help evaluate evidence and determine truthfulness
The first evidence I looked at was Walt’s alleged dairy and contract books. I was impressed the entries appeared to be contemporaneous - entries were made at the time the incidents occurred, different inks, angled entries - all adding to the document’s believability and authenticity. I then analyzed various passports and identification pieces, some showing Walter’s different aliases. There were a lot of them - the passports showing a good deal of foreign travel, the vaccination records also showing lots of activity. When visiting Carl, I saw more original evidence. Carl’s trailer was filled with evidence, photographs, and articles posted all around - just like in the movies.
My next task was to help gather and evaluate evidence, interview witnesses where possible, and try to determine their evidentiary value.
- I evaluated his 3.5 hours of audio tapes to get a fix on his communication patterns, how he enunciated words, his talking rhythm, and whether there were changes in those patterns. I found no changes in patterns.
- I evaluated all the documents for believability and authenticity.
- I conducted face-to-face interviews with Carl to better understand his communication patterns and gain information.
- Loretta, Carl’s wife, was present during most of the recordings and discussions between Carl and Walt. I assessed her communication patterns and body language as Carl spoke to me to detect if Loretta agreed with or believed in what Carl was telling me. Loretta consistently showed agreement.
On Jeff O - Shod - Us, aka Cowboy
- I conducted a phone interview with Jeff to get a feel for his speaking rhythms, how he enunciated words, and to get a feel for his communication patterns.
- I then used that knowledge to conduct a forensic examination of the transcript of Vern’s interview with him and a forensic examination of a handwritten statement he provided following Vern’s taped interview.
- I compared our documents to FBI records and reports to identify consistencies and discrepencies. I found no discrepancies that eliminated Walt as a suspect - instead I found amazing consistencies.
- I evaluated Walter’s audio portion in the 3.5 hours of audio tapes to get a fix on his communication patterns, how he enunciated words, his talking rhythm, and whether there were changes in those patterns. I found no pattern changes.
- I found it particularly significant that Jeff O - Shod- Us’ statement of events on the night of 11/24/1971 was identical to Walt’s 5 year earlier account.
In my opinion, Carl, Walt, and Jeff provided truthful statements.
The audio tapes and transcripts, Walt’s Last Testament provided me with great evidence. My analysis told me Walt was not forced or coerced to make his statements to Carl - that he made the statements freely and voluntarily. The statements and last testament contain Walt’s admissions to all the elements of robbery and hijacking – constituing a very good confession. Based on his confession and all the corroborating evidence, Walt, if still alive, would be prosecuted for the hijacking of NW 305.
I believe that Walter Reca is D.B. Cooper. Carl and Walt were best friends. I invite Carl to speak."